From actress to robber, 17-yr-old Claudia Hidic killed in crossfire while looting house

11 Jul 2012
Claudia Hidic
Image issues: A photo posted to a memorial page for Claudia Hidic, who was killed in an alleged home burglary attempt, shows her posing with large amounts of cash stuffed down her shorts and shirt
    Claudia Hidic
Mystery: 17-year-old Claudia Hidic was found shot dead in the backyard of a stranger's home
Claudia Hidic
Tragedy: Hidic's family said they have no idea what happened. Here she is pictured with her sister (right) and a family friend (centre)
Claudia Hidic
Police are investigating at the Fort Worth, Texas duplex where she was found
A photo posted by one of slain student-turned-alleged robber Claudia Hidic shows a different side to the 17-year-old who was shot in the head during an attempted home burglary.

While her parents and relatives maintain that Claudia was a sweet aspiring actress, one of her friends posted a photo to a Facebook memorial page showing her flashing a rude gesture while wads of dollar bills are shown stuffed down her gym shorts and bra.

Her body was found dumped by the kicked-in back door of a duplex apartment in Fort Worth, Texas almost two weeks ago and now police have the two men thought to be her accomplices in the attempted burglary.

Curtis Fortenberry and Terrance Crumley, both 21-years-old, now face felony murder charges over the fatal incident.

According to the Star-Telegram, Hidic reportedly directed the two men to various homes where they could find expensive items to steal.

At the home where she met her death, there were thought to be five or six people inside the duplex at the time that Hidic and her two co-conspirators entered.

Either Fortenberry or Crumley had a gun on them, and once they entered the apartment, shots were exchanged with people inside the home, and Hidic is thought to have been hit in the crossfire.

The would-be robbery occurred on June 28, but it wasn't until this weekend that the suspects were confirmed by police.

Crumley turned himself in on Saturday and Fortenberry was already in custody because he was arrested for unrelated theft charges on Tuesday.

Both men have prior records: Fortenberry's recent arrest was for burglary, theft, and assault with bodily injury involving a family member.

At the time of Hidic's death, Crumley was on probabtion because of a theft charge dating back to April. A drug charge was dismissed at the same sentencing.

Hidic, a German national from Bosnia, lived in the area of Fort Worth, Texas with her sister. She studied at Trinity High School in Euless and worked at the Los Jimadores Tex-Mex Tequila Factory in Bedford, Fox 4 reported.

The man who discovered her dead body reportedly stopped talking to investigators, according to the Star-Telegram.

But police spokeswoman Sharron Neal told the newspaper that he is not a 'person of interest' or a suspect.

Investigators combed through the man's residence for two days but did not reveal what they had collected as evidence.

'We're still interviewing witnesses, family and friends,' Neal said. 'We have spent many hours there trying to find out what happened. It's just taking some time to process all the evidence we have.'

Miss Hidic's distressed family said they had no idea what happened to the teenager, described by her sister Samira as ‘big-hearted and beautiful’.

Former foster parents Jim and Sue Scionka told the local TV station that she dreamed of going to college and becoming an actress. They asked that anyone with information come forward.

'If your heart is touching you,’ said Mr Scionka, ‘if you know anything about this situation I pray (you) would contact the authorities.’

A neighbor said he heard a loud bang at around the time of the shooting, which he described as being like something backfiring.

'I don’t instantly think about a gunshot when I hear a bang like that,’ he said. ‘Not in this neighbourhood.’

Grieving friends started a Facebook page, dedicated to Hidic.

On it was posted: ‘Claudia was truly an amazing person she will forever and always have a piece of my heart.

She has touched so many lives and she never stopped loving and forgiving others.’

As police investigate, neighbours said an unidentified man and woman were seen going in and out of the property during the day before Hidic's death.

It is not yet known whether anything had been taken from the home.

SOURCE: Daily Mail